How-To Apply Mineral Oil
Once you’ve got a beautiful end grain cutting board it is important to know how to maintain it. Proper maintenance is vital to the longevity of the board. In order to do this, you have to know about our initial conditioning and the applying mineral oil. Below you will find step by step instruction, along with a video, regarding the application of the oil. By doing this regularly, you, along with you future generations, will be able to enjoy it for many years to come.
Update: We are excited to now be using Organic Hemp Oil. Hemp Oil is food safe, doesn’t contain chemicals, is breathable and biodegradable, and has a low carbon footprint. The application of the oil is the same as below.
- Place the cutting board on an level, protected surface.
- Make sure the board is clean and free of debris or residue.
- Apply a generous amount of mineral oil and use your hands (you will get a bit messy, but it’s worth it) to spread the oil all over the surface of the board. You want enough to completely saturate the board and cover the entire surface.
- Leave the board for 10-24 hours, and allow the oil to soak in.
- Flip the board. If you see patches where the oil has soaked through across the back surface of the board then you are now ready to do the same process to this side of the board.
- Once you have applied the mineral oil to both sides and all the edges, and have allowed proper time for the oil to soak in, you can wipe off any excess.
- Once the board is free from excess mineral oil, apply a coat of our Natural Conditioning Cream. Now your board is ready to use!
- Re-apply the mineral oil once a year, or more often if you find the board is dry.
(We recommend you apply our Natural Conditioning Cream regularly, to keep the board healthy, well conditioned, and to provide a barrier against liquid penetration.)
Proper care is important for any cutting board since this care creates and contributes to a food-safe, organic surface. So oil up, and happy cooking!